Are you struggling with stairs due to age or disability? If you’re looking for something to help you with your mobility issues at home, what better than a stairlift that was designed with love and care?
Brooks’ first stair lift was designed by a British engineer. His wife struggled with their staircase at home due to her rheumatoid arthritis, and was able to keep her independence thanks to her husband! 40 years later, Brooks stairlifts are manufactured and sold in several countries.
Brooks lifts are sold through the popular Acorn brand. The only difference is that Acorn sells directly to the public under their own brand name, and through their dealer network as Brooks.
Brooks Stair Lifts Products
Brooks lifts come in only straight models, with a range of optional extra features which can be added to tailor your lift to your specific needs. Brooks also offers an outdoor model so you can access all the areas of your property with ease.
In a survey by British review website Which?, Acorn, supplier of Brooks stairlifts, received an above-average score for customer satisfaction.
The stairlifts received decent ratings for:
- Personal Suitability
- Suitability for the Home and Stairs
The Brooks Lincoln model is a basic, budget-friendly stairlift that runs on automatically recharged DC batteries. It’s designed with your safety and ease of use in mind.
This model is the same as the Acorn 130 straight stairlift. It can carry a weight of up to 280lb, but a special upgrade will give it a 350lb capacity if you need it.
Brooks Stair Lifts Features
The Brooks Lincoln stairlift is operated with a joystick armrest paddle. It comes with a wireless remote control system, so you can call the lift to you or send it to park out of the way.
The seat swivels to make it easier for you to get on and off. It can be locked in either a 45 or 90-degree position. You can get off at the top of the stairs while facing away from the staircase, for your safety.
The Lincoln has safety sensors which will halt the stairlift if there are obstacles on the staircase. The design is compact and folds up, allowing other household members to walk up and down the stair unimpeded.
All Brooks straight stairlifts are guaranteed for 12 months from the installation date. The guarantee covers all mechanical failures that might occur through defects in the manufacture of their quality products.
Here are the key features of the Brooks straight stairlift at a glance:
- Runs on automatically recharged DC power packs
- Designed to stop and start easily and smoothly
- Easy-to-use joystick control on the armrest
- Rail is fitted directly to the stairs, so there’s no damage to your wall
- Swivel seat for extra safety
- Compact design with folding arms, seat and footrest
- Safety sensors to stop the lift in case of obstacles
- Basic chair with beige fabric upholstery
- Powered hinge track, powered swivel seat and footrest options available
- Intelligent diagnostic display that indicates the lift status, for troubleshooting any problems
- Remote controls bring the stairlift to you when you need it
- Charge points are placed at the top and bottom of the track, for lift charging
- Optional powered hinge track which folds the bottom section of track so your hallway or door are not obstructed
- On and off switch is key-lockable, to prevent anyone (like inquisitive children!) from operating the lift
- 12 months’ guarantee
Brooks Stair Lifts Price
Brooks stairlift costs are pretty reasonable.
The no-frills standard model will cost you around $2,495 new, with an extra $395 charge for the hinged rail option.
You can find a used Brooks stairlift online for as little as $800.
Bear in mind that you might not be covered by the same warranties if you purchase a used model.
You will also have to organize your own installation.
Pros and cons of Brooks stairlifts
- The lifts are easy and quick to install
- Lifts come with an Ease of Use commendation from the Arthritis Foundation
- Service via the help desk is reported as pleasant and helpful
- The lift’s weight limits are lower than some other manufacturers
- You might have to purchase the stairlift battery separately
- While the lift itself has a 12-month warranty, there is no warranty for battery cells
Brooks is sold through Acorn, which is a reputable company with many outlets worldwide. Their lifts, while basic, have all the required safety features, and are some of the most reasonably-priced on the market. Depending on your local dealer, you should easily be able to organize the installation through them.
Acorn offers free, no-obligation home visits to assess your staircase. It goes without saying that they will most likely give you quite a sales pitch, so be prepared!
If you buy a used Brooks stairlift, you might be tempted to install it yourself, or have a friend or family member install it for you. While this is certainly an option if you’re handy around the house, bear in mind that the lift might not fall under the same warranties.
If you need a heavy-duty lift, a Brooks stairlift is probably not for you. The 350lb weight capacity upgrade will suit most users, but if you need more power to get you safely from A to B, you should probably look at other brands instead.
If you want luxury features such as stylish design or high-end fabrics, or lots of motorized features, these lifts probably won’t meet your needs. However, Brooks stairlifts are a perfectly reasonable choice, if you’re happy with a standard model.